To the Greater Alabama Scouting Family,
The BSA’s national board of directors has unanimously approved welcoming girls into our Cub Scout program and delivering a Scouting program for older girls that will enable them to advance and earn the highest rank of Eagle Scout.
Some important points:
• Starting in 2018, families can choose Cub Scouts for their sons and daughters, enabling them to take advantage of the life-changing experiences provided through Scouting.
• Chartered Organizations will have the choice to offer the girl option for Cub Scouts and the older girl program. They can choose to offer or not offer, it is up to the chartered organization.
• An older girl Scouting program will be introduced in 2019, this is not a co-ed boy scout troop, but a single gender girl program, that will allow those girls involved to earn the Eagle Rank.
• Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls
• Packs can be All Boys, All girls, or Girl Dens and Boy Dens
• This unique approach allows us to maintain the integrity of the single-gender model while also meeting the needs of today’s families.
The historic decision comes after years of receiving requests from families and girls. The BSA evaluated the results of numerous research efforts, gaining input from current members and leaders — as well as parents and girls who have never been involved in Scouting — to understand how to offer families an important additional choice in meeting the character development needs of all their children.
Whether you agree or disagree with this change, the main thing for us to focus on is serving the youth in Scouting who are currently in our programs. Our youth deserve our very best, a quality program. While this transition may be troubling to you or embraced by you; the one thing we know is that Scouting changes lives in a positive way and will continue to do so. I encourage each of you to reach out to your chartered organization and begin the discussion now, on what is best for your unit and your chartered organization.
Thanks to each of you who have shared with me your thoughts and questions. As we move forward I ask for your prayers and advise on how we can implement this program in the right way, for our council, so we can continue to grow and serve this community.
You make a difference and for that, I am eternally grateful.
Please email me at email@example.com or call me at 205-969-4240 if you have any questions.