|COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus UpdateGreater Alabama Council|
Updated March 16, 2020
Here are the latest updates concerning the COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus disease and its impact on our Scouting operations here in Alabama.
· All Council and district events, activities and programs are postponed\canceled until April 6, 2020.
· All council camps are closed until April 6, 2020.
· The Huntsville and Birmingham Scout Service Center’s and Scout Shops will be closed to the Public starting Tuesday, March 17th, 2020 until April 6, 2020.
· Our volunteers and staff continue to meet and evaluate whether to postpone any additional council events, district camporees, etc. We will share those updates as soon as there are firm decisions.
· Units should review the most current CDC guidelines for preventing community spread of the virus and decide among their leadership, families, and chartered organization about whether to postpone meetings, campouts, and other activities.
Our Scout Shops will be closed to the public from March 17th, 2020 until April 6, 2020.
Additional program recommendations/preventative measures:· We recommend all district committee meetings and roundtable meetings take place via video conference or teleconference until further notice.
· Boards of Review for Scouts BSA, Venturing, and Sea Scouting advancement may be conducted by videoconferencing; see this post from Scouting Magazine with details
· BSA is currently working on recommendations/guidelines for working on merit badges online; we expect an update on this on Tuesday March 17
We encourage you to join us in monitoring the news and communications from Alabama Public Health, http://alabamapublichealth.gov ,the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) CDC.gov, for the latest concerning Covid-19 (coronavirus). We will follow guidance of local, state, and federal health agencies to ensure the most up-to-date information guides the operations of our Scouting programs. We will take any further steps as appropriate to ensure the safety and well-being of members.
Prepare your Family
Here are resources for families looking to engage their children in Scouting and/or educational activities while at home:
Completing Cub Scout rank AdventuresEducational (all free)
Khan AcademyEspecially good for math and computing for all ages but other subjects at Secondary level. Note this uses the U.S. grade system but it’s mostly common material.
FuturelearnFree to access 100s of courses, only pay to upgrade if you need a certificate in your name (own account from age 14+ but younger learners can use a parent account).
OpenlearnFree taster courses aimed at those considering Open University but everyone can access it. Adult level, but some e.g. nature and environment courses could well be of interest to young people.
BlocklyLearn computer programming skills – fun and free.
ScratchCreative computer programming
Ted EdAll sorts of engaging educational videos
National Geographic KidsActivities and quizzes for younger kids
DuolingoLearn languages for free
Mystery ScienceFree science lessons
The Kids Should See ThisWide range of cool educational videos
Crash CourseYou Tube videos on many subjects
Crash Course KidsAs above for a younger audience
Crest AwardsScience awards you can complete from home
TinkercadAll kinds of making
Prodigy MathGood for elementary school ages
Big History ProjectAimed at Secondary age, multi disciplinary activities
Geography GamesGeography gaming!
Learn Computer Science
The Artful ParentGood, free art activities linked to from this Facebook page
Red Ted ArtEasy arts and crafts for little ones
The Imagination TreeCreative art and craft activities for the very youngest
Toy TheaterEducational online games
Please continue to pray for those families impacted by this illness and all of the healthcare workers, first responders, military that are dealing with this each day. Please also keep our local, state and national leaders in your thoughts and prayers.
Be Prepared and Keep Scouting!